Thursday, August 25, 2011

First Week of My Last Year of College

Today completes my first week of my last year of college. Well, that is for my undergraduate career. I finish off this week with mixed feelings. I feel very happy that I am nearing the end of a stressful life filled with studying, homework, exams, and commuting. In a way it feels very surreal. College life like it will go on forever, but when I look back at it, it all went by so quickly. This is my fifth year of college (not by choice), but it seems like just yesterday I was sitting in freshman orientation. UH has been a huge part of my life and in a way I feel a bit sad that this lifestyle is going to end soon. I am so used to going to class and having to spend my free time preparing and studying for classes.

Soon I will have to step out into the real world, with a real degree, and have to find a real job. Not one of these in between jobs I have had since I was in high school. For some reason that scares me. Above all I am worried about not being able to find a job, and not being qualified enough for the position I apply for. Not only is the economy bad, but it is not like Biomedical Engineering jobs are posted in the Houston Chronicle. You kinda have to know somebody who knows somebody that knows of a biomedical company. Truthfully, I don't really think I know anyone with that type of connection. The Biomedical Engineering industry is also so diverse that companies are usually only looking for employees that are extremely specialized in one area. This mean that they are not usually looking for someone with a bachelor's degree, but for someone with a graduate degree. When I think about all of this and try to put it into perspective, I feel a bit hopeless.


I would love to go to grad school one day, but continuing on to grad school once I graduate in May is not an option for me. My family can't afford to pay for 2-5 more years of education. I would also like to be able to relieve the financial burden on my husband so that he may have the chance to go to college soon. We both feel that a life spent working out in the chemical plants is not the best thing for him. He is also capable of achieving so much more in this life than he gives himself credit for. I am very proud of him for considering college and getting some sort of education.

This year is going to be tough. I can just imagine how difficult my courses are going to be. I am taking all engineering classes this semester and I have a feeling that I am in for a lot of late study nights. I have to remember to keep my eyes on the end result, the light at the end of the tunnel, graduating with both of my degrees in May! I can't believe that this is just 9 months away :D

 
Cullen College of Engineering. One of the engineering buildings at UH.

2 comments:

  1. I miss UH! :( I definitely feel you about the 5 years of college... I'll graduate at the end of next summer, and I can't wait until that day comes. Congratulations on being a senior!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Congratulations to you too! :) I feel like I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am sure you feel the same way too. UH has definitely changed a lot the last few years. Being on campus is really hectic now. There is too much construction and not enough space for it all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading:)