Monday, September 12, 2011

First Cake Decorating Request UPDATE!!

Last week I posted a blog about my first cake request. My sister-in-law Grace and her son William both had a birthday earlier in the week. We celebrated their both birthdays on Saturday and I was asked to make a cake for them. 

William and Grace have totally opposite personalities so I decided to bake them two separate cakes:) Grace is such a hard worker, very girly, and is super sweet. William loves camouflage and is a major history buff. I would consider him an expert on WWI and WWII. He is very smart for his age. I decided to decorate Grace's cake with pink icing and white flowers. William had requested a Halo (the Xbox game) cake. I really didn't know how to make a Halo themed cake. I looked up a few cakes on google to get some ideas, but they were really extravagant and something I didn't have the time to do. So I settled with decorating his cake with a camouflage theme.

Grace's cake was made with a special recipe I found online for a carrot- mandarin orange cake. It was very delicious. I also make cream-cheese icing to go along with the cake which I later dyed pink:) The flowers, dots, and border was made with white buttercream icing. Here are a few pics of her cake:






William asked for a chocolate cake, nothing special. I made buttercream icing and dyed each separate color of icing. Then I drew out and put on each patch of camouflage on the cake separately. Here are a few pics of his cake:



I have such a hard time baking cakes in our oven. The oven is not level and doesn't heat correctly. I always end up with lopsided cakes that are unevenly cooked. Then I have to cut off  a lot of the cake to even it out. I don't think even bake even strips would help out much here:(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading:)